This is not a garden blog, but you might see an article concerning gardening. It is a blog about me and the cultivation of my life. This is a place where I air my opinions and ideas. There will be stories about what is happening or has happened. I like to write poems, some will be good and some will be bad. I am never bored, I hope you won't find what I write about boring. Thank you for sharing time with me.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

CATASTROPHE UPDATE

Last night, after I posted, I went to the barn to check everyone and feed the cats and chickens.  A nice surprise greeted me, "Cross-eyes" stood up.  It was painfully executed but he stood to greet me and then laid down.  The Vet had said that the lactated ringers sometimes seems to make miracles.  I fed him and cleaned the towels under him.  I knew I would have to come back down at 10PM and give him more lactated ringers.  He is still not drinking water.  It was good to see some improvement in his demeanor. 

St. Louis is experiencing some horrible weather fronts.  One came through last night right after I cared for the cat.  It rained so hard it was deafening.  The St. Louis area was devastated with Tornadoes.  The airport was even hit.  It is closed now.  Thank goodness it hit when not many planes were landing.   There were very few injuries and no deaths.

To keep "Cross-Eyes " comfortable in this damp and cold, I made him an adult incubator.  We have a very large Styrofoam cooler (normally used for a propagation chamber).  I laid it on its side and placed a heating pad on the ground side.  Covered the pad with a heavy bath towel and turned it on low.  While he was so debilitated I hung a heavy cover over the front of it to keep away drafts.  He is improving this morning, we saw he had been up and used the litter box (it is right next to him).  He didn't eat this morning, I will try him again in a couple of hours. 

At 10, last night, the fronts had passed.  I went to do the final check at the barn and doctor "Cross-Eyes".  When I fed him he left some of his food so I took it to the other cats in the barn.  Out of a oil drum next to me, jumped a cat.  Startled me a little more than a little bit.  It was Priscilla. (the cat in the cover shot).  she was growling at me.  I served her the food to occupy her and went to look in the drum. Yep!! there were five little ones.  Three of them looked exactly like the one I had up at the house. I went to get the other kitten and when I came back Priscilla was already back "home".  I went to get more enticing canned food to keep her away while I tried to reinstate the baby in the nest of siblings.  When I put her back I fondled all the little ones too, just so she couldn't tell I had added to her brood.  A half hour later I checked and she was happily nursing kittens.   I couldn't tell if mine was attached or not and I didn't want to make her nervous.  I returned to the house to get the first full nights sleep I have had in 3 weeks. 

This morning when I went down, Priscilla left the nest and ate. While she was eating I fondled little ones.  Mine was warm.  I think I felt something in the tummy.  The good sign was she had given her a bath and her little bladder was not full.  She was not crying so I figured that is a good sign too.

It is a better day today.

Catch my other blogs at:
About projects I create, including cooking, quilting, costume making, ect.
New entry called "the Wedding Quilt"" 
This is a garden blog, but it occasionally has recipes on it.
Three new entries about wild flowers on the farm.
One new entry about New baby chicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment